14 Jul Changes Made To the UVMA Constitution & Bylaws
These are the changes made to the UVMA Constitution & By-Laws. The exact wording of changes that were voted on is listed below with the exception of the executive secretary title change in which “executive director” will replace “executive secretary” throughout the document. The voting for these changes took place at the General Board Meeting on June 13, 2015 at Utah’s Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City.
- Clarify duties of the Immediate Past-President to include him/her as a voting officer of executive board and chair of Past Presidents Committee
- Change Nominating Committee to Past Presidents Committee and expand scope to include review of the upcoming AVMA resolutions. Change committee members from the last 5 past presidents to 3.
- Change title of Executive Secretary to Executive Director. Scope will remain unchanged.
- Add Indemnification Clause to by-laws to protect members of the UVMA Executive Board, UVMA Board and UVMA Committees.
Article IV Section 4.
The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, President Elect, Immediate Past President and Treasurer.
- President Elect. In the absence of the President, the President Elect shall act as presiding officer. In the absence of both, a chairperson shall be elected by the Board of Directors.
- Immediate Past President. shall serve as a voting officer of the executive and general board for the period of two (2) consecutive years immediately following his or her term of office of president and will preside in the event the president and president elect are not present. In the absence of all three, a chairperson shall be elected by the Board of Directors. The immediate past president will chair the Past Presidents Committee.
Order of Business
- Agenda. An agenda shall be prepared prior to all Board meetings by the members of the executive committee and the executive secretary. The agenda shall be made available to all members at their request.
- Indemnification Clause The Association, by the act of the Board, shall indemnify any person who was or is a party of any proceeding by reason of the fact that he or she was or is a member of the UVMA Executive Board, UVMA Board, or UVMA Committee against any liability or settlement cost, and any expense (including attorneys fees and associated costs) actually and reasonably incurred by him or her in connection therewith, to the full extent of the Association’s power to so indemnify such persons as provided by law.
- Past Presidents Nominating Committee. The Nominating Past Presidents Committee shall consist of the last five (5) three (3) consecutive past Presidents of the Association with the Immediate Past President as chair. This committee shall receive nominations from the member ship for elected offices as provided in Article V of the constitution. If the general membership fails to nominate members in good standing that qualify for the various offices, the Nominating Committee shall select one or more candidate and submit those names to the Executive Secretary who shall prepare and mail ballots as provided in Article V of the Constitution. This committee shall also conduct a review of the AVMA Resolutions and submit their recommendations to the AMVA delegates and/or the UVMA Board prior to the meeting of the AVMA House of Delegates. The committee can select at least one other general member of the association and at least one new graduate in the review process.